The World of Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The World of Music

For all the music lovers...

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Gogol Bordello

Go down 
AuthorMessage
bethhead
Admin
Admin
bethhead

Female
Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2007-04-15

Gogol Bordello Empty
PostSubject: Gogol Bordello   Gogol Bordello Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 1:27 am

Mhm well they're not rock. But that's the closest I could get. Can't say we have a part of the forum for Gypsy-Punk but it'll do. Now these guys, well. They blow my mind. I've seen them twice live now and I just think that I've never seen a better live act. Ever. (And I've been to alotta gigs!)

Gogol Bordello Bordello

from Wikipedia:
Gogol Bordello is a multi-ethnic Gypsy punk band from the Lower East Side of New York City that formed in 1999 and is known for its theatrical stage shows. Much of the band's sound is inspired by Gypsy music, as its core members are immigrants from Eastern Europe. The band incorporates minor-key accordion and fiddle (and on some albums, saxophone) mixed with cabaret, punk, and dub as well as multiple languages. Phill Jupitus has once described the band as "a bit like The Clash and The Pogues having a fight... in Eastern Europe."

I first discovered the band 'cos my mum saw them on Glastonbury and bought the album. And when we were on holiday it was ALL we listened to on the car journeys. Then after we saw them at Hammersmith I was sold. lol.

Gogol Bordello Untitled

Current members:
Eugene Hütz (vocals, acoustic guitar, percussion, fire bucket)
Sergey Ryabtsev (violin, backing vocals)
Yuri Lemeshev (accordion, backing vocals)
Oren Kaplan (guitar, backing vocals)
Thomas Gobena (bass backing vocals)
Eliot Ferguson (drums, backing vocals)
Pamela Jintana Racine (percussion, backing vocals, Dance)
Elizabeth Sun (percussion, backing vocals, Dance)
Pedro Erazo (percussion, MC)
Stevhen Iancu (accordion)

Gogol Bordello Gogol-bordello-big

I found this on Wikipedia too which I thought was cool:
In Liev Schreiber's 2005 directorial debut Everything Is Illuminated, which stars Elijah Wood, the role of Alexander Perchov was played by Eugene Hütz. It also includes other Gogol Bordello members. The band's music was also the backbone of the soundtrack for the 2006 film Wristcutters: A Love Story where a main character played by Shea Whigham was named after and based on Eugene. The band's lead singer Eugene Hütz starred in the documentary film The Pied Piper of Hutzovina, about his journey through Europe and back home as a gypsy musician. The entire band has been featured in another directorial debut - Madonna's film Filth and Wisdom, starring Eugene Hütz as one of the main characters. Madonna also allowed Eugene to add his own dialogue into the script.

Here is the video for Wonderlust King: